It may sound surprising. But there are many people throughout Miami-Dade County that do not know the difference between getting an annulment or a divorce. Although both are legal methods to end a marriage, there are some important fundamental differences. An annulment cancels a marriage, declaring the union never existed or was ever valid. A divorce is the legal dissolution of marriage, which returns both parties to single status with the ability to remarry. While you don’t have to be a divorce lawyer in Aventura to understand these differences, it’s essential to have an experienced and knowledgeable attorney on your side to legally end your marriage.
Why Do I Need to Know About Annulments?
Generally, when a man and woman get married, it is done out of mutual consent. But there are instances where one person is pushed into a marriage against their will or even without their knowledge. When this occurs it is vital to hire an Aventura divorce lawyer to initiate an annulment. To file for annulment, you must prove any of the following conditions:
- Mental Illness: If one or both parties are found to be mentally ill or mentally disturbed at the time of marriage, it is grounds for an annulment.
- Failure to Consummate a Marriage: An annulment can be filed if one party is incapable of having sexual relations.
- Bigamy: A marriage cannot take place of one or both parties are already married.
- Mental Incapacity: If either party was under the influence of a mind altering substance at the time marriage and unable to make an informed consent, the marriage can be cancelled.
- Forced Consent: No marriage can take place if one party is forced or threatened.
- Fraud: Neither party can enter marriage due to lies or by misrepresentation.
- Incest: A marriage between two people of familial relations is prohibited by law.
- Underage Marriage: If either party is too young to enter marriage without consent of an adult, the marriage can be cancelled.
Although annulments and divorce have completely different dynamics, both require the assistance of an experienced divorce lawyer. Aventura is home to countless people who are currently involved in troubled marriages which need to be ended as quickly as possible. By proving any of the above liabove-listedons, a marriage can be considered null and void by the court. Divorces are often more complicated.The court must decide how assets will be divided, debts will be paid along with child custody issues.
Why You Need an Aventura Divorce Lawyer?
Every state has their own rules regarding annulments for people looking for information regarding how Texas handles cases dealing with annulment you may want to check out Texas divorce attorney Bryan Fagan’s blog article How an annulment is different than a divorce in Texas.
Whether you are filing for divorce or an annulment, it is essential to receive representation from a divorce lawyer. The procedures of family law in Miami can be extremely complicated. In addition to preparing and filing paperwork, a divorce lawyer can help protect your rights and interests. Aventura divorce lawyer Stephanie G. Morrow has been practicing family law for more than 20 years.During that time, she has helped countless clients successfully file for annulments and help get their lives back on track. If you are seeking an annulment, contact the law offices of S.G. Morrow & Associates, P.A. and schedule a consultation.