They were Hollywood’s premier power couple. Perhaps no two people in the world were photographed more often than Angelina Jolie and Brad Pitt during their 12 years together. But just a month after their second wedding anniversary, Jolie has filed for divorce citing irreconcilable differences. The couple had been separated since September 15. The news sent shockwaves throughout Hollywood. However, there were several hints there was trouble in paradise.
Pitt and Jolie had spent much of the year working on separate projects. They had not been seen together in public since July. The couple originally met on the set of the 2005 film “Mr. and Mrs. Smith”. At the time, Pitt was married to Jennifer Aniston. According to sources close to the couple, Pitt’s alleged infidelity is the reason for the divorce. Regardless of whether you are a Hollywood celebrity or an average American couple, divorce can get messy and there are several different issues to address.
- Child Custody:Jolie is seeking custody of the couple’s six children. She has also requested the court to grant Pitt visitation.
- Division of Assets:Jolie has requested to keep “miscellaneous jewelry and personal effects” along with any earnings after the date of separation and separate assets that have yet to be determined.
- Adultery:While Jolie cited irreconcilable differences as the reason for the filing of the divorce, sources close to the couple also claim Pitt’s infidelity as a major factor. Typically, the court frowns upon those who have committed. When it comes time for a divorce settlement, adultery can have a major effect.
The bright spotlight on celebrities can can take a toll on a marriage. Although, there have been many Hollywood couples that have gone on to long happy marriages including Tom Hanks and Rita Wilson, Kevin Bacon and Kyra Sedgewick along with Mark Harmon and Pam Dawber, many others have dissolved.
Here is a list of some of the most expensive celebrity divorces:
- Mel Gibson’s divorce from Robyn Moore Gibson worth $425 million
- Michael Jordan’s divorce from Juanita Jordan worth $168 million
- Neil Diamond’s divorce from Marcia Murphey worth $150 million
- Greg Norman’s divorce from Laura Andrassy worth $103 million
- Steven Spielberg’s divorce from Amy Irving worth $100 million
- Madonna’s divorce from Guy Ritchie estimated at $76-92 million
- Kevin Costner’s divorce from Cindy Silva worth $80 million
- Kenny Rogers divorce from Marianne Rogers estimated at $60 million
- James Cameron’s divorce from Linda Hamilton worth $50 million
- Paul McCartney’s divorce from Heather Mills worth $48.6 million
The price of divorce can be steep. In the case of the Paul McCartney, there was no pre or postnuptial agreement. Whether you are super rich or just an average Jane and Joe, it is vital to get sound advice when it comes to filing for divorce. The selection of a divorce attorney is extremely important. When the custody of your children and the protection of your personal assets are on the line, do not take chances. Contact an Aventura divorce lawyer with a track record of more than 20 years of protecting the interests of each client. Contact Stephanie G. Morrow at S.G. Morrow & Associates, P.A. and schedule a consultation today.